relationships

My favorite thing about relationships is that they are all so different.

I have some friends who I hang out with and I do all the listening. With others I do all the talking. And some are more balanced. Yet I love all of these relationships.

I have friends who I can go 15 years without seeing and yet we can pick up right where we left off. Some friends I make a point to see at least once a month, whereas others we are good to see each other once a year. Some I met at church, others at school or work, an Al-Anon meeting or the grocery store. Where and how we met isn't what validates these relationships, however, and the frequency with which we see each other isn't based on how much I love these people. I love them all.

My mom and I can sit and talk for hours. My dad and I can work side-by-side for hours. My brothers and I can play for hours. My dog and I can walk for hours. Alone I can read and write for hours.

That's right. You can have a relationship with family and friends, and also with pets and yourself. And God.

At church on Sunday I sang a love song that wasn't written about God, but makes me think of Him nonetheless. Because that is the relationship I have with Him. I have a total crush on Jesus and I know He crushes on me right back.

New relationships, long distance relationships, kindred spirits, friends, family, acquaintances, partners... what we "label" our relationships is far less important to me than accepting them each as unique and lovely and important.

EMBRACE RELATIONSHIPS.

Take time to be grateful for your many and varied relationships today!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE