outdoors

In 2002, my first job out of college landed me inside a cubicle. After a month I was so claustrophobic I quit and moved to California where I lived in a cabin at the base of a mountain, surrounded by trees and hiking trails and a river fed by snowmelt.

I loved everything about the California outdoors. The dramatic scenery--mountains, deserts, oceans, Joshua trees and Giant Sequoias. The wildlife--especially the bears that tumbled down mountains and across the road where you were driving. The fresh air--both mountain air and salty ocean breezes.

But this past year I've learned that the outdoors can be spectacular even without bears and glaciers and saltwater. Without canyons or geysers or caves.

After working in an office--even though it was a really nice office with lots of windows--from 2006-12 and never having time to enjoy the day from the outside, I'm simply happy to be outdoors again. Working from home where I give myself at least 2 hours a day to be outside.

I have to admit to being shocked that I'm not the least bit disappointed that I walk the same path every day. That there aren't any sand dunes in sight. Or ocean breezes. Or trees as wide as two lanes of traffic.

Those things are wonderful and I miss their splendor. But I've discovered I don't actually need any of that on a daily basis. I simply need to be outdoors.

EMBRACE OUTDOORS.

I enjoyed 100 degree weather in Texas this summer and 2 degrees in Ohio this week. There's no such thing as too hot or too cold to be outside. So get out there!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE