40-40-40 ... Day 8: St. Jude


I didn't participate in Lent yesterday. I was too sad.

Randy and I are preparing to leave Baja. One of the catalysts for that decision was to spend more time with my grandmother. But we never got that chance. She died yesterday. And I was completely devastated by the news.

I didn't have the energy to donate or write about a cause yesterday. I didn't want to hear all the Christian platitudes ("Be glad she was a Christian and is with Jesus now."). I just wanted to be sad. To cry and walk the beach and take a nap and cry some more. I woke up this morning hoping it had all been a terrible dream.


You would think that you would always click with all of your family members. You share DNA. You share an upbringing. You have both nature and nurture going for you. But at times you can feel like an outsider within your own home. But I never felt that way with my grandmother. We were kindred spirits.

She was an artist and a world traveler, a card player and an avid reader, she loved to dance and drink and laugh. She loved watching videos of baby animals and adored her grandchildren and great-grandchildren. When I lived with her during my 20s I was so envious of her. She was never afraid to say what she felt. She was so full of life and energy and purpose. I wanted to be just like her when I grew up.

In her will, Grandma left money to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. And so, today, in her honor, I make my donation.


ACTION STEPS

CALL or HUG your grandparents today.
LEARN more about St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.
FOLLOW St. Jude on Facebook or Twitter.
FIND an event in you area by simply entering your zip code.
SHOP the St. Jude gift shop.
DONATE to St. Jude so that no family ever has to pay a dime to be treated here. Instead they can focus on getting their child better. You can make a general donation, donate in honor or memory of someone, or donate in honor of my grandmother at her personal page here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE