names

Yesterday my sermon was about the importance of names.

Matthew 1 begins with a list of names, the genealogy of Jesus. Mark 1 begins with baptism, when our name is written in the Lamb's Book of Life. Luke 1 begins with an angel telling Zechariah he would have a son, to be named John. And John 1 says "In the beginning...", reminding us of Genesis when God called things into creation, named them, and gave Adam his first assignment--to name all the animals.

And because we are celebrating Jesus' birthday this week, we talked about His all important name. Jesus, which means "God saves." And Immanuel, "God is with us." Not "for" us. But "with" us. Dwelling among us. Walking the earth. Filling our hearts.

I also shared that Katie means "pure". A name I've always been intimidated by. A name I never thought I could live up to.

But through this year of self-exploration, of embracing fears and family and lessons and ordinary days, I've begun to think of "pure" not as "perfect" but as simply being me. Purely Katie. With all my fears and mistakes and triumphs and attempts to find what makes me uniquely me. Doing my best to live into the fullness of who God created me to be. Accepting that He knew I would never be perfect and He created me anyway. Loved me anyway. Named me "pure" anyway.

And so to be pure, to be Pure Katie, I simply need to embrace the world. As me. With my eyes and heart. My passion and purpose. My all.

Which sounds far less intimidating than trying to be perfect.

EMBRACE NAMES.

What does your name mean?


Comments

  1. Hi, Enjoy the article, I'm Manisha, I really want to say sincerely that this is amazing content that you have shared. thanks for this. it's really very helpful for me.

    Live Current Affairs
    Live Sarkari Naukri
    How to get a Government Job easily
    Facebook Video Download Online
    Sarkari Yojana - PM Modi Yojana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heey There.I found your blog using msn. Thіs is a very welll written article.I will be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful.information. Thanks foг the post. I’ll ⅾefinitely comeback
    Chatville
    Youtube.com/Activate
    Groovy Bot In Discord
    Fast People Search
    Sportsurge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thіs is a very well written article. Thanks foг the post. I’ll definitely comeback.
    We will provide a products in lower prices and good quality of products. So you come to our site and check the products and get the product from our website. link is given below:
    Kawasaki Ninja Motorcycle Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I do not know who you are but certainly you’re going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already ;) Cheers!

    malayalam quotes
    love quotes malayalam
    sad quotes malayalam
    motivational quotes in malayalam
    friendship quotes malayalam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this amazing and useful information do check out websocify for growing your business online.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MORE

forgiveness