acceptance

Kenzi and I were texting a friend of mine on Sunday evening, which sparked a rather interesting conversation.

Kenzi: Are you texting Daddy?
Me: No. That's not Daddy. That is my friend.
Kenzi: Is he going to marry you?
Me: Not today.
Kenzi: Is he at your house?
Me: No. He is at his house.
Kenzi: Why?
Me: Because his kids are there.
Kenzi: And their Mommy?
Me: No. She doesn't live there any more. She has a different house.
Kenzi: Why?
Me: Because sometimes mommies and daddies have different houses.
Kenzi: Because they don't love each other any more?
Me: That's right. But your Mommy and Daddy will always love each other.
Kenzi: Why did you switch houses?
Me: So I could live closer to you.
Kenzi: I wish you lived in the backyard. Then we could have pajama parties whenever we wanted.

I didn't tell Kenzi the whole truth. Where I moved was to be closer to her. But why I moved was because I got divorced. (Though not because I didn't love my husband any more.) 

I was surprised by this conversation with Kenzi, though I suppose by now I shouldn't be surprised by anything that comes out of her mouth. She is always watching, always listening, always absorbing what goes on around her. More so than the rest of her siblings I would say, though they certainly see and hear more than I think!

It made me want to try harder. To do better. To love more. To be a positive example to her of safety and protection and the forever kind of love. So she never has to worry about the people around her choosing not to love each other any more.

But even when mommies and daddies don't live under the same roof, they/we can still make the best of it. We can show love and kindness, acceptance and forgiveness. And not just in how we treat the kids but also in how we treat and talk to/about the adults. 

EMBRACE ACCEPTANCE.

In this season of new beginnings let us all remember that it is never too late to choose love. To choose each other. To accept what comes. To be gracious. And to be kind. Always. Because it is the right thing. And you never know whose little eyes are watching.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE