40-40-40 ... Day 38: Bokenkamp Children's Shelter

While in Corpus Christi, Texas, last week (was that seriously just last week???), my sister-in-law introduced us to her friend Kristen. As we were all getting ready to go to the beach together, I shared briefly with Kristen that Randy and I had been working in Mexico at an orphanage for the past 18 months. She said it sounded a little like "Bokenkamp" where she had volunteered. Obviously intrigued, I asked her to tell me more. She said Bokenkamp was right there in Corpus Christi, and was providing shelter and meeting the needs of unaccompanied immigrant children from south and central america. She said she struggled there because she doesn't speak Spanish.


Oh how I wish we hadn't learned about this the day before leaving Corpus Christi! How I would have loved to have gone and spent the day with a dozen beautiful little Spanish-speaking children like those who hold my heart in San Felipe. Time wasn't on our side on this leg of the journey, but now that I know about it I will certainly remember it for future visits! I can just picture taking my little niece there and how much fun she would have learning Spanish and teaching English to her new best friends.


In the meantime, I've looked up Bokenkamp online and discovered that they are part of an organization called "Upbring" as well as Lutheran Social Services. Bokenkamp opened in 2006, and last year alone cared for over 1,000 children. (That number is HUGE to me, as we cared for 50 tops last year at Sonshine.) When I think of "refugee resettlement" camps, I think about Africa and the Middle East, I think about people fleeing danger, but I certainly don't think about children, crossing the border alone into the U.S., unable to speak the language or survive on their own. But I'm glad to know that there are services for these children, that they aren't immediately deported, that there are organizations who will look into their stories and see if there are safe family environments for them.

I freely and gladly support Bokenkamp Children's Home with my donation, and am thankful to Kristen for introducing me to their services!

ACTION STEPS

LEARN more about the work being done to care for unaccompanied immigrant children in border towns
FOLLOW Upbring on Facebook, empowering children and families while breaking the cycle of child abuse
DONATE to support the work of Bokenkamp through Upbring

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

names

MORE

forgiveness