the familiar

On an ordinary day I roll out of bed, enjoy a glass of Spark, do some sun salutations, and head out to run or bike. Yesterday, however, I decided to work for a couple of hours first, and then go for a bike ride.

A mile into my ride I was thinking about how hot it already was at 9:30, mentally telling myself that in August it is better to workout before work, when I saw a woman riding toward me on her bicycle.

"Isn't this the most beautiful stretch of road," she said happily.

I agreed, for her benefit, all the while thinking, "What is she talking about?"

Isn't it interesting how we get used to our surroundings and no longer appreciate their beauty, their wonder, their significance. Especially when we've grown up in that place, or have spent many years there. And then someone comes along who isn't as familiar with the landscape, or simply sees it with different eyes, and they awaken us to the beauty that was right in front of our faces all this time.

Because of her comment I decided to ride for another hour and really look at the landscape that is my neighborhood.

I noticed that the moon was still visible in the sky even though the sun had been up for hours. I marveled at the beauty of the cornflowers and wildflowers in bloom, vividly pink and blue. I greeted the horses, cows, and goats I encountered, and raced the dogs without electric fences. I braked for the rabbit that ran across the road and encouraged the birds who attempted to fly against the wind. I noticed the crosses marking places where people had been killed on the roadway and paused to pray for their families. I waved to the people who were outside working and was grateful at how little traffic there is on our country roads.

All of this I would have missed had someone not pointed out to me that there is beauty in the familiar.

Whether we are looking in the mirror at our own familiar faces, or out the window at the streets we drive everyday, let us take time to notice and appreciate the beauty that is all around us.

EMBRACE THE FAMILIAR.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE