adversity

While riding my bike one day this week I noticed that no matter which direction I was traveling, I was always straining against the wind.

I started out traveling north, against the wind. "Two miles," I told myself, "and then I can head east."

After two miles I headed east, against  the wind. "Two miles," I told myself, "and then I can go south."

Two miles later I made another right turn and traveled south, against the wind. "Three miles," I told myself, "and then I'll head west."

After three miles I turned to the west, against the strongest wind yet. "Two miles," I told myself, "then I'll be close to home and done with this stupid wind."

Two miles later I made my last right turn, once again heading north to ride my last mile, against the wind.

How was it possible that no matter which direction I turned I had to face the wind?

Life is like that sometimes. No matter which way we turn, which path we take, which direction we go or which we avoid, we always seem to be faced with adversity. It's impossible to avoid.

The interesting thing is that the first trial I faced--heading north--felt incredibly difficult the first time around. But after I took alternate routes--east, south, and worst of all west--I came around to that first trial again and discovered it was the easiest of them all.

The path before us often looks insurmountable. But just because it's hard doesn't mean it's impossible. In fact, staying on the path and confronting the first trial you face will likely be a whole lot easier than avoiding it and trying to go your own way. Chances are you'll just come back around and have to face that first trial eventually anyway. So why not tackle it right out of the gate.

EMBRACE ADVERSITY.

And come out stronger on the other side.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE