commitment

I once read that commitment takes away your ability to choose.

If you are like me, the thought of not having a choice is not appealing. But consider it like this:

Being committed to your job means you don't wake up on Monday morning and ask yourself if you want to go to the office or not. You simply get up and go.

Being committed to an exercise program means you don't go to bed thinking, "If I get up early enough I'll go for a run before work." It means setting your alarm and having your shoes ready by the door.

Being committed to your marriage removes the word "divorce" from your vocabulary.

Being committed to going to church means you don't ask yourself on Sunday morning if you feel like going. You go because the decision to commit has already been made.

If you look at it from that perspective, not having a choice is actually pretty liberating. We have enough choices and decisions to make in our daily lives that it can be freeing when there is no choice.

Of course we also have to prioritize our commitments.

I'm committed to running but I'm more committed to my health. So last week while dealing with bronchitis I did not run. Today I'm glad to be feeling better and this morning's two and a half miles felt great!

I'm committed to my job but I'm more committed to my family. So if I have to miss a deadline because the kids are sick or the adult who was supposed to be watching them is sick, I'll obviously not think twice about missing the deadline.

I'm committed to going to church but I'm more committed to my relationship with God. So if on a Sunday I want to hang out with Jesus on a mountaintop or in a coffee shop, at the beach or with a book, I give myself permission to do so and don't feel the least bit guilty.

EMBRACE COMMITMENT.

What are you committed to?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE