selflessness

Peggy Vining is the poet laureate of the state of Arkansas.

As soon as she received notification of this honor, she immediately called the governor.

"Why me?" she asked, knowing she wasn't the best poet in Arkansas by any means. She didn't even start writing until she was a 30-year-old mother of 5, looking for something to do that didn't cost any money because "we were poor then."

The governor told her that there were 100 nominations for poet laureate. "But your nomination application was the only one that talked about what you do for others." The other 99 all focused on the person's credentials--awards, publications, honors, degrees.

"I didn't feel like I deserved it," Peggy said. "I was just doing what I love. I love poetry and I want others to love it, too."

Hearing Peggy's story while surrounded by 100 other writers who all want to publish and receive recognition for their novels, short stories, and poetry was very timely.

I hope we can learn something from her selflessness. Namely that what is important is not how long our resumes are, but how long are the lists of people we have affected with our lives, our words, our actions, and our love.

EMBRACE SELFLESSNESS.

Is your life achievement focused, or people focused?


Comments

  1. I do very much enjoy writing for its own sake, but a few extra dollars here and there wouldn't hurt. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE