comfortability

I absolutely love the hostess at the spa I frequent. She recognizes me, takes good care of me, and makes up words to meet her needs.

Words like comfortability.

Which, according to Google, a host of other people have also made up and like to use. But so far it's only a valid word if you consider Wikipedia a valid source.

This is my hostess's context, which she said to a new client yesterday: "Undress for your massage to your comfortability level."

"Comfort" would fit just fine in this context. But "comfortability" adds an interesting dimension. Comfort is to feel at ease. But comfortability might be your ability to feel at ease. Regardless of the circumstances, some of us are simply more able to feel comfortable than others.

After our massages the woman who was told to undress to her comfortability level shared with me that it was the best massage she had ever had. That she wished her mother could have joined her. But she died in July. Suddenly. She was in the hospital for less than 24 hours. Heart problems. Luckily they had spent time together the previous week. She had paid for her mother to get a pedicure. Her first. She was so proud of her hot pink toes. Her mother had never had a massage before. She sure would have liked one. Especially here. Where they give the best massages.

I told her I would invite my mother to come with me the next time.

She smiled.

I was reminded that "comfort" doesn't just mean "to feel at ease", but also "to console". So, perhaps, comfortability could be both the ability to be comfortable and the ability to console. Both which are important.

EMBRACE COMFORTABILITY.

With special thanks to my lovely hostess for naming this all important gift!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE