vacation

My earliest and fondest memories are of going on vacation with my family. Five of us piling into a station wagon before the sun came up in order to drive all day from Ohio to Iowa, Ohio to Myrtle Beach, Ohio to Gatlinburg or Branson or Bella Vista. Not stopping until we came to a Shoney's or a teepee hotel. Laying down the backseats so my brothers and I could pile on top of our luggage for naps, reading, eating cheese out of a can. We sang along to Kenny Rogers and Garth Brooks, Jim Croce and Tom Petty, and made up our own lyrics. We played the license plate game and travel yahtzee. Repeatedly asking if we were there yet, more out of orneriness than boredom or anticipation.

When we arrived at our destination we would play with our cousins -- fish, hike, 4-wheel, cave, swim, sled, play detective, whatever -- picking right up where we left off 6 months or a year before. Eleven of us would share one bathroom. Grandpa would tell jokes and teach us to play cards. Grandma would cuddle us and teach us to paint. We'd watch all the shows we never got to at home -- Woody Woodpecker, Mighty Mouse, Fraggle Rock, the Waltons. We'd go to Casey's for pizza and Aunt Maude's for grilled peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

And before we knew it, the 5 of us would have to pile into the car again, saying goodbye with hugs, kisses, and "I love yous" until the next Christmas or summer vacation. Driving until we saw a Shoney's. Singing the new songs Grandpa had taught us. Writing in diaries or playing with new toys. Repeatedly asking if we were there yet.

We never went to far away places like Disneyland or the Grand Canyon. We didn't have portable DVD players or i-pods or computers. Vacation was about getting away, but it was more about seeing family who lived far away, having fun together as a family -- the car ride was as much part of the vacation as the time we spent at our destination, leaving all the worries of home, work, and school behind us in order to make new memories.

The only trouble with vacations
is that I hate saying goodbye!
Now vacation means traveling to Texas to see my brother and his family, or visiting with them when they come to Ohio. I'm itching to make the trip to Arkansas to see my grandma and hope she comes this way soon too. There are also places I'll travel to on my own, making my own memories along the way.

I'm sure vacations were a lot of work for my parents and probably involved a lot more fighting and whining between my brothers and me than I remember. It is work to arrange schedules, drive time or flights, time off and time away.

But it is so worth it.

Vacations can make you feel more rested. Or grateful to be home afterwards. Vacations can deepen personal connections or open your eyes to the wonders of the world.

EMBRACE VACATION.

I never want a year to go by without one!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE