buoyancy

On Sunday, while at her aunt and uncle's pool, my sister-in-law Kari told Tessa, the oldest of her quadruplets, that as soon as she learned to swim Daddy would build her a swimming pool. Tessa immediately removed her swim floats and jumped into the water. By midweek she was swimming back and forth across the pool, underwater, coming up just once or twice for air.

In her above-water life Tessa never stops talking so she has an incredible lung capacity. Perfect for swimming underwater. And her natural buoyancy positions her body perfectly so that she can grab a quick breath whenever she needs one.

She is one amazing child.

Our Tessa. July 18, 2013.

I was thinking about buoyancy yesterday morning when Michael B. gave my brother and me some swimming pointers at our local YMCA.

He told me I was a great swimmer. And by "great" he meant I needed to learn to breathe, stroke, thread, pull and reach, BUT my body position (ie. keeping my hips level) was perfect and that is the hardest thing to teach. With a little practice, he said, the rest will come easy.

Buoyancy is what raises my hips to keep them level with the water. But buoyancy also means "cheerfulness" and "the ability to recover quickly from setbacks." Resilience and cheerfulness allow you to rise above depression, discouragement, mistakes and failures, broken appliances and other unexpected setbacks, and move forward with ease.

EMBRACE BUOYANCY.

I'm grateful for Tessa's natural buoyancy, in the water and in life. And I'm grateful for Michael B. for his encouragement, reminding me that everything is easy when you know how to float.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE