freedom

Eight years ago I went on an Emmaus Walk. In short, the "walk" is a three-day stay at a local church where "pilgrims" learn more about God and His great grace, and can have a personal encounter with Christ, just like the disciples did on the road to Emmaus in the Gospel of Luke.

An amazing group of women were on the "walk" with me. I have never laughed so much in my entire life. And also learned so much, cried so much, sang so much, and opened my heart so wide to God.

One thing that I have never forgotten is that my "table group" (a small group of women who I was paired up with for the weekend) adopted the word "freedom" to describe ourselves.

I have no recollection as to why we chose this word, but it came to mind yesterday since the word is so freely used to define our Independence Day in the U.S., the fourth of July.

When I think back to the Emmaus Walk, I imagine we were feeling a variety of different types of freedom. Freedom from responsibility, since we'd left our families at home and our work at the office. Freedom from technology, as we weren't allowed to have cell phones or computers or TVs. Freedom from time and routine, since there were no clocks or watches. Freedom from societal pressures, since we were all there for the same purpose -- to seek God. Freedom from judgment, because we didn't talk about where we had come from in order to focus on where God was taking us. Freedom from guilt and shame, since the focus of the weekend was grace.

Art in a tapas lounge my brother and I enjoyed
this week in Corpus Christi, TX.
On the fourth of July we celebrate all that our troops have done to ensure our freedom in the USA. We take a break from work and spend the day with family. We take a break from technology and go outside for baseball and fireworks and cookouts. We don't worry about what we wear, so long as it is red, white, and blue. We take a break from the clock and let the sun determine when we will eat and play and light sparklers. We take a break from discrimination and celebrate being part of one great nation. It is a day of freedom, in celebration of the freedoms available to us thanks to God, our military, and other freedom fighters.

Likewise, Christianity is meant to free us, not to burden, condemn, judge, or constrain us. It is meant to be a celebration of the freedom available to us through Christ.

The 4th of July is an annual reminder to thank those who make such freedoms possible. God and country.

EMBRACE FREEDOM.

Yesterday, today, and forever.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE