fatherly advice

Lessons I learned from my dad this week:
The hardest working man I know. July 23, 2013.

Me: "The raspberries on the bush aren't very sweet."
Dad: "That's because they're blackberries."


Dad: "Watch out for poison ivy."
Me: "What?"
Dad: "That stuff in your hand."
Me: "Oh."
Dad: "Calamine lotion."

***

My dad is all about letting me find my own way. Make my own mistakes. Follow life wherever it takes me.

When I wanted to move to California from Ohio he drove all the way out with me. When I got homesick in Ecuador he bought me a plane ticket home. When I married a man with a child he immediately began bragging about his grandson. Asking me as a teenager to be nicer to my mother is probably the closest he has ever come to telling me how to live my life.

He's never been the type to sit me down and give me a "father knows best" lecture or claim to have a hold on some "fatherly advice" that will pave the way for my future. Instead he has taught me by example, through the way he lives and works and loves. And I will forever be grateful.

EMBRACE FATHERLY ADVICE.

Whether it comes through words or actions, is profound or useful in everyday life, let us be grateful for the wisdom imparted from our fathers.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE