circles

Last month I shared with you my experience at church camp, including the story of one little girl who asked me why God would let her great-grandma get cancer.

That week was also the early registration deadline for the Caesar's Creek triathlon I just participated in. My brother signed up a week before the deadline but I was having serious second thoughts: Do I really want to do this? Can I do it? Do I really have to sign up now, a month in advance? I can always pay the late registration fees if I decide to compete.

And then Carly asked me why God would let her great-grandma get cancer.

I could see in her face how terrified she was when she asked the question. Cancer was scary, hard, and the end result unknown.

Competing in a triathlon is also scary, hard, and the end result unknown. Except on a completely minuscule scale in comparison to cancer. At least I knew it would be for me.

So I told Carly that if she would be strong and fearless and face cancer with her great-grandma, I would be brave and do a triathlon. She hugged me and held on long and tight and promised to be brave.

I went home and registered for the triathlon.

Caesar's Creek. July 14, 2013.

One month later, my thoughts were very much on Carly and her great-grandma as I prepared to race. I had a peace in my heart that I hope they have too.

And here's the really cool part.

Twenty minutes before the race began, as people were still setting up, stretching, and getting focused, we were all invited into a prayer circle. Someone opened the prayer with gratitude for the amazing weather, all the volunteers, everyone racing, and our military. And then it was opened up for anyone who wanted to offer a prayer.

The prayers weren't about winning or setting personal bests. The prayers weren't hopes that the water wasn't too cold or that we wouldn't have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the race.

The prayers were for a sick family member at home. A fellow racer who was killed in a car accident last week. Praises for healing miracles. For the woman who was told she would never be able to walk but was there competing on her own two legs. Some named the person or the cause they were racing in honor of that day. Like I was racing for Carly and her great-grandma.

It was such a beautiful reminder that we were so much more than just 650 people in spandex who were going to spend the next hour, two or three hours, swimming, biking, and running. We were people with hurts and hopes, dreams and miracles, heartache and happiness, who just happen to enjoy triathlons.

And our circle extends to families, friends, kids we met at a campfire, and triathletes everywhere.

EMBRACE CIRCLES.

Be it a prayer circle. An inner circle. A wider circle of family, friends, or otherwise. Circles are all about inviting people into our lives and our hearts. Reminding us we are all in this together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE