freezer pops

Yesterday as I was entering a store, a man wearing flip flops held the door for me.

"It's cooking out here," I said, by way of thanks.

"It's weather like this that led to the invention of margaritas," he said.

I like the way he thinks.

I would add convertibles to the list of genius inventions resulting from too hot days. And kiddie pools. Flip flops. And those little hand-held fans that spray water on your face.

And popsicles.

Back in January a friend of mine put a box of popsicles in my freezer. He was drinking a root beer at the time.

"What are you, 12?" I asked. We laughed.

He ate one of the freezer pops and I just shook my head. One, it was January. And two, weren't we too old to eat frozen juice out of plastic sleeves? Besides, what adult drinks root beer?

But this week I realized he knew something I'd forgotten, and I've been so grateful for that box of flavored ice. There is nothing like 90 degree weather, with 95 percent humidity, to make you realize you are never too old for freezer pops.

Summer heat waves have a way of making me feel as free as a kid again. Popsicles. Slip 'n slides. Back flips in the pool. Sunscreen in my hair. Wet towels. Roller coasters. Concerts. County fairs. Air conditioned movie theaters. Iced tea steeping on the back porch. Lightning bugs. Dairy Queen. And fireworks.

All things I don't have to be a kid to enjoy. Or have a kid to enjoy. I can embrace them, all 33 years of me, all on my own.

You won't see me drinking root beer, but when it hits 89 at 9 a.m. I will happily EMBRACE FREEZER POPS.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE