points

Last week, hanging out with my friend V. After getting in his truck he says, "I should have opened your door for you. One point against me." We laughed. And started a tally.

His parents were at the restaurant where we wanted to eat. Strike 2.

Instead we went for pizza. He let me pick the toppings. Plus 1.

We went to the park to eat our pizza. I had to go to the bathroom. It was locked. V handed me a pile of napkins. Strike 2 again.

He is a really good driver. Plus 1.

And so the night continued. Alternating points for and against. And laughing.

He texted me when he got home that night. Something ridiculous. Followed quickly by a "My bad. Strike 17."

Of course none of the points were of any consequence. Just two friends making jokes.

Even so it was interesting to be attentive to what counted as a plus--those things that made me feel comfortable, special, safe. And those that counted as strikes--things that made me feel ordinary.

I don't actually advocate the point system. But would it be so bad to be more attentive to our actions and whether or not they make others feel special?

EMBRACE POINTS.

What can you do to make someone feel special and get a plus 1 today?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE