the original way

I have a regular route that I like to follow when I ride my bicycle. I've been riding all summer and I always
follow this same route. Yesterday, however, I decided I would ride the route, but I would do it in reverse, heading south first instead of north.

I expected to have these great revelations about 'seeing the same thing but from a new perspective' or 'seeing new things when you are willing to break out of your routine'.

But it just didn't happen.

The fields weren't greener. The hills weren't easier. The birds didn't sing differently. And the teenagers didn't pay any more attention to the road while they attempted to text and drive.

It was, after all, the same route. Only in reverse.

Maybe I was just hungry, therefore cranky. Maybe my knees were telling me that back-to-back days of hour-long bike rides was unnecessary. Maybe it was the wind and humidity that dampened my spirits.

Or maybe there was just nothing wrong with the original way.

I say, if you have found something that works for you (which is an accomplishment in and of itself), and that you truly enjoy (which is different than doing it because 'I've always done it this way and my momma did it that way and her momma before her'), then don't feel obligated to change (which is different than being unwilling).

Certainly there are times to shake it up, to avoid monotony, to see if there is another or better way. But sometimes routine is good. Sometimes grass is the same shade of green whether you look at it from the south or the north. Sometimes there is nothing wrong with the original way.

EMBRACE THE ORIGINAL WAY.

Have you ever felt pressured to try a "new" way, even though there wasn't anything wrong with the "original" way? Sometimes we grow from these experiences. Other times we just realize we were right all along. :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE