commonality

The djs on the radio station I listen to (90.1) were recently talking about a new online dating site for people
who are gluten free. (This one promises you'll never feel awkward eating again!)

When I Googled it (so I could give you the link, not because I wanted to sign up, so just relax!) I saw that lots of other people were talking about this too. And everyone is asking: is it necessary to have a dating site based on dietary needs/preferences? (Is most of what is online "necessary"?)

The biggest argument against it is that "opposites attract" and it is good to be with people who are different than you. (As if two people who are both gluten free will have EVERYTHING else in common too! Really?!)

But isn't matching people with commonalities what online dating is all about? (I've never tried it, so I don't actually know what I'm talking about, but I can't imagine saying "I hate sports" on my profile and being matched up with Tim Tebow.)

I think hanging out with people who have something in common with you is pretty darn nice actually.

Take my friend Angie, for example. She, like me, is single and doesn't have kids. We had dinner on Sunday night and spent two hours without once having to complain about our husbands or potty training or homework or doing anyone else's laundry. Awesome!!

Don't get me wrong, I love hanging out with my friends who are married and/or have kids. But sometimes it is just nice to hang out with someone whose lifestyle is more like mine. Who I can talk to about travel and books and church and music without being interrupted by a husband who doesn't know where the diapers are or a kid who needs picked up from soccer practice.

EMBRACE COMMONALITIES.

What things do you love having in common with your friends or kids or spouse?


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE