rhythm

I love this translation of Matthew 11:28-30 from The Message:

“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”

I especially love that phrase "the unforced rhythms of grace." Rhythm, when we find it, is unforced. It's natural. It's easy.

Yesterday I realized I'd finally found my rhythm again. Exercising in the morning, working 8 hours at my computer, cooking 3 meals, reading for enjoyment in the evening, and walking my dog every couple hours throughout the day. None of it was forced. It was an easy rhythm. Which felt soooo good after the craziness of August.

Remember August?

August was sports camps, two-a-days, practices, scrimmages, and games. 

August was school shopping, first day of school photos, meet the teacher night, and what time does the bus come again?

August was last minute vacations, trips to the pool and the Dairy Queen.

For me August was completing that book project I'd been procrastinating, starting a new marketing campaign, going to conferences, leading workshops, preaching, getting together with friends I hadn't seen all year, triathlon training, hanging out with the kids, and why does the dog have to have fleas?

But as we transitioned into September some of the chaos slowed down, some was completed and traded for new chaos, and some simply stopped feeling like chaos as we got used to it. Used to schedules. Used to routines. Used to the weather changing and the sun going down earlier and coming up later.  

Life isn't any less busy for me than it was a month ago. But I've found my rhythm. And when I've found that, I can start to "live freely and lightly", taking on whatever comes my way with patience and peace. 

EMBRACE RHYTHM.

I hope you've found yours too.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE