relinquishment

This year has been all about opening myself up to new experiences, opportunities, emotions, and awareness. But along the way I've also discovered things I need to let go of, things that prevent me from being more open.

Fear - With less than four weeks between me and my next triathlon, those old fears are rising again: flat tires, leg cramps, getting kicked in the face while swimming. I want to relinquish these fears (along with countless others that have nothing to do with triathlons), to give them up in favor of positive expectations, purposeful preparation, and simple acts of faith.

Guilt - I worked on Labor Day and more than one person chided me for it. So the dilemma for me was, do I feel guilty for working on Labor Day or guilty for taking a Sabbath the day before (which was why I had to work on Labor Day)? I choose neither. I had a job to do and I got it done, and I got it done on the day I chose to do it. And maybe I'll celebrate Labor Day with a day off tomorrow!

The Past - I spend way too much time thinking about the past, dwelling on it, glorifying it, re-imagining it, avoiding it, denying it. But as a wise monkey once said: "The past can hurt, but the way I see it you can either run from it or learn from it." And move forward!

Other things that top my list are stress, shame, judgment, perfectionism, worry, and other people's expectations. That last one I especially need to work on giving up.

EMBRACE RELINQUISHMENT.

What do you need to let go of?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE