grace

Yesterday my dog and I decided to take a walk at 5 p.m. It had been less than two hours since our last walk, so it wasn't out of necessity but simply for enjoyment. As we returned 20 minutes later I felt the first rain drop on my nose. We were inside less than 5 minutes before the skies opened up and a true spring thunderstorm unleashed itself. The storm raged for two full hours, so had we not walked when we did Jovi would have had to go the bathroom in the midst of it (a function she thankfully only does outdoors).

The timing of our walk was perfect. A little piece of God's favor.

I frequently share these "bits of grace" with my friend Brent who jokingly responds, "God loves everyone, but He loves you the most."

I frequently ask for God's favor upon my
nieces and nephew, that they would forever see
dandelions as beautiful flowers.
Tessa, age 4, April 2013.
We both know that God doesn't love me any more than He loves anyone else, but we also recognize that not everyone asks for God's grace like I do. I think people have a tendency to think God doesn't sweat the small stuff, so we shouldn't ask for the small stuff. But I have no problem asking Him for a parking space in a full lot, a store to have the shoes I want in my size, my voice not to crack when I'm singing in church, or the wisdom to know if I should put on my rain boots before I go out for a walk even if it isn't raining.

God wants to bless us with these bits of grace. He wants us to ask for small favors. And big ones! He wants us to be at the right place at the right time. He wants us to have favor in our careers, relationships, finances, etc. He wants us to know we are greatly blessed, highly favored, and deeply loved.

And He wants us to know that grace is undeserved. We can't earn His favor by doing good deeds, by tithing, by loving Him "enough." Grace is a free gift because of His perfect love for us, not because of anything we have done for Him.

EMBRACE GRACE.

I am the disciple whom Jesus loves. And so are you.


Love, love, love Joseph Prince's book Unmerited Favor


Comments

  1. Katie, I normally save your blog for my after-school treat, but on Wednesday read it early. Again, God spoke directly to me through your words. I had been struggling with a passive aggressive co-worker and was full of anger, frustration, and sadness. Grace, the reminder that God answers our prayers and that's what I needed. Sitting in my car in McDonald's parking lot, I shared my frustration and anger with God and immediately felt a weight lift from my heart. That little request for grace brought such comfort. Thank you again, Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You call out to God for help and he helps—he’s a good Father that way." (1 Peter 1:17, The Message)

    God is always faithful when we call to Him!

    Thanks Michelle for sharing your story! It's another bit of grace in my day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE