asking for prayer

I rarely ask others to pray for me. But on Sunday morning I sent a text to a friend letting him know I wouldn't be opposed if he wanted to pray over the sermon I was about to deliver.

Also on Sunday, a friend who normally doesn't ask me to pray for her asked for prayer, saying "you know I hate to ask for help."

She nailed it for me.

The reason I don't ask others to pray for me more often isn't because I don't believe in the power of prayer. And it isn't because I think God and I have all my problems covered. It's because inviting others into my struggles, my fears, my I-don't-know-how-this-is-going-to-pan-outs is to show that I'm not as perfect, strong, confident, and impenetrable as I like you to think I am. And that opens the door for you to judge me.

But love always believes the best... so I can believe that you'll do your best to pray for me judgment-free and I will do my best to do the same for you.

EMBRACE ASKING FOR PRAYER.

Inviting others to pray on your behalf invites them to spend time with God and that can never be wrong. It also opens the door for them to feel comfortable asking you to pray for them.


Reading Anne Lamott's account of life's three "essential" prayers: Help, Thanks, Wow


Comments

  1. I have found that no one judges me quite as harshly as I do. I'm glad you felt comfortable enough to share this entire post with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kevin! You are so right. "I'm my own worst enemy." This journey to embrace all things is really leading me to learn to love myself. Thanks for affirming that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE