serving

I started Wednesday off with the Gospel of Mark. Two pieces found in the tenth chapter proved important for the remainder of the day: 
  • Children are at the very center of life in the kingdom. Mark this: Unless you accept God’s kingdom in the simplicity of a child, you’ll never get in. (vv. 14-15)
  • He came to serve, not to be served. (v. 45)

My afternoon was spent with one of those centers of life: my nephew Kasen.

Though he struggles to keep 50 pounds on his tiny frame, he has a huge heart, full of generosity and love. And while I might have fooled myself into thinking I would be serving him with an afternoon of adventure, he repeatedly affirmed for me the truth of the Scripture, that in order to be Christ-like I must strive to be more like him than he like me. You'll see what I mean:

Kasen Matthew, age 6.
While I was waiting for the school bus I hid Easter eggs in the yard for him to hunt. After finding them he asked if he could take them home and hide them for his sisters to find. 

While driving him to town I asked him about his school day and what he was learning. After telling me about multiplication--which is kind of hard--and story time--which he loves--he said the teacher rewarded him today because he was so quiet and respectful.

While shopping at Wal-Mart I gave him ten dollars to spend on anything he wanted. After carefully searching every aisle--twice--he said he wanted to buy a stuffed animal for his cousin whose first birthday is coming up. 

While at McDonalds I bought him dinner and held his coat. After devouring his meal he rallied all the kids in the room to play a game of tag. He pretended to run fast so the twin two-year-olds would think they were winning. A boy closer to his age told his dad that Kasen was his new best friend. All the parents said goodbye to us when we left two hours later. 

While on the drive home I thanked him for hanging out with me. After saying "you're welcome" he told me his favorite parts of the day: all of them. 

It was clearly my intention to serve Kasen during our time together. And I assumed that his response would be to embrace being served. But he repeatedly showed me how I imagine God would rather we respond: when others serve us, our gratitude can motivate us to serve others. 

EMBRACE SERVING


Reading The Blessed Life by Robert Morris. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE