good

Overlooking Old Faithful from the roof of the Inn. August 2001.

While living in Wyoming in 2001, I had to be at work by 5 a.m. in order to get breakfast started for the hundreds of staff who operated the Old Faithful area of Yellowstone National Park. George was one of the other managers who also had to be there by 5, and he was always standing outside when I arrived on foot.

"Good morning," I greeted him.

"What's so good about it?" He replied. 

This became our ministry to one another. On mornings when he needed help finding something good I would say: "It's not supposed to snow today" or "I'm making biscuits and gravy" or "The bison weren't blocking the bridge today so I didn't have to take the long way around" or "Maybe the hippies will sing something besides Peter, Paul, and Mary tonight" or "I'm hitching to the hot springs after work for a swim." 

He usually met my response with a grunt, sometimes a smirk, and occasionally by opening the door for me. 

Then one morning as I approached he put his finger to his lips before I could issue my morning greeting. He pointed to the path behind me. A coyote had trailed me, following me like I was Little Bo Peep on my way to school and this was my pet sheep. George motioned for me to continue walking toward him and, when we were safely inside, I said, "Good morning," and he replied, "At least you didn't get eaten by a coyote." A good morning indeed!


It has always seemed weird to me to call the day that Jesus was crucified "good" Friday. But, as George and I learned, there is good in every day, in all things, even in our pain, if we are willing to look for it. 

EMBRACE GOOD.

After all, there would be no resurrection without a crucifixion. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE