grieving

Cancer. Car accidents. Death. Divorce. We do ourselves a disservice if we pretend that life isn't hard. There is something to be said for faith, hope, trust, and peace, but as it says in EcclesiastesThere is a time for everything... a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance.

I'm not suggesting we stop enjoying life and dwell in the land of the despondent, but I know for myself I often avoid the "time to weep...time to mourn."

Which means that when I do experience grief it often sneaks up on me, powerful and unexpected. It brings new meaning to the mourning we often see in the Bible: "When Mordecai learned of all that had been done, he tore his clothes, put on sackcloth and ashes, and went out into the city, wailing loudly and bitterly" (Esther 4:1).

Because I can't do anything to change my circumstances, grief makes me want to pull out my hair, or at least shave it off. It makes me want to get a tattoo, akin to wearing the itchy burlap sack Mordecai put on--giving physical manifestation to the hurt in my heart. It's like a punch in the gut, making me want to double over in loud, painful sobs. 

The Bible portrays this as a natural response to grief. Mourners spend days and weeks, as long as it takes, in this state. 

Yet more often than not I don't feel worthy of grief. Sometimes I feel the choices I've made take away my right to grieve. Or that it is my role to comfort others in their grief and to do so I must stifle my own. Or my sadness doesn't make sense against the peace that others hold. Or their grief is more justified than mine. Or I haven't shown vulnerability in more difficult circumstances, so why now.

But whether I have a right to it or not, it doesn't change the fact that my heart hurts and needs a good scouring that only comes when I EMBRACE GRIEVING

This is the time to mourn.


Listening to When the Right One Comes Along with Clare Bowen and Sam Palladio.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE