surprises

Yesterday morning someone surprised me. And I loved it.

But I used to hate surprises.

With my girls at the surprise party in question...
minus the boyfriend I wasn't talking to.
New Vienna, Ohio, February 1996.
My family and friends planned a surprise 16th birthday party for me and I didn't talk to my boyfriend for a week afterwards because he had to lie to me to pull it off.

Years later another boyfriend surprised me with pancakes when I returned from an early morning walk with my dog. I was used to fruit and yogurt, so I refused to eat them.

Fear leads us to try to control everything, even breakfast, even birthdays.
Trust helps us embrace everything, even surprises.

I can happily say that this year I am doing a pretty good job of being able to
EMBRACE SURPRISES. So far anyway.


Listening to Start of Something Good by Daughtry.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE