living

Embracing life--really living--became a longing for me at 21,
hence the Chinese symbol for "live" permanently added to my being in 2001. 

Tomorrow I turn 33. My parents and I were discussing this "milestone"...

Mom: Thirty-three is my lucky number. It was a great year for me, and it will be for you. Marilyn Monroe was at her prime (Some Like it Hot) when she was 33.

Dad: Thirty-three was a hard year for me. Jesus died when he was 33, and look at all that he did in his lifetime. I didn't feel like I had done anything when I turned 33.

Mom: You'd had three kids already!

Dad: You had a good year because of Marilyn Monroe.

My parents, though drawn to very different figures in history, were pulled by this need to be alive, to live, to experience the fullness of life, to make use of their gifts and callings, to make an impact, to leave a legacy. I am too.

Whether I go by zombie apocalypse when I am 33, or rapture at 103, while I am here I will: EMBRACE LIVING.


Watching Zombieland.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE