primary sources

From last night's Grey's Anatomy:

April: "You shouldn't spread that kind of rumor."
Shane: "It's not a rumor. I heard it from Brooks and she heard it from..."
April: "That is a textbook rumor!"

One of the reasons I'm on this journey to read the Bible during Lent is because it is the primary source. I read a lot of books about the Bible. I write about the Bible. I preach about the Bible. But unless you can confirm those sources with the primary source, they are little more than rumor.

I like to read comparative literature to see where our religions intersect. But I'm also easily influenced, so I always pray that God will reveal truth to me. Last night I was reading about the futility of pursuing happiness. The author said the moment we start to pursue something we lose it. He cited examples from several of the world religions. From the Bible he compared this to "Doubting Thomas," the disciple whom Jesus loved, who was called Doubting Thomas because he attempted to walk on water but soon began to sink.

Wait... what?

This is precisely why we need to read the Bible!

According to the primary source:

  • John was most likely the disciple whom Jesus loved (at least in John's opinion).
  • Peter was the disciple who walked on water and then sank. 
  • Thomas doubted the resurrection and needed to put his hands in the holes in Jesus' hands and side in order to believe. 

Any time we hear a rumor or a sermon, read a book or a blog, it is our responsibility to confirm its truth with the primary source. We all have the right and the ability to understand Scripture and hear from God, and we should exercise that right. 

But don't take my word for it...

EMBRACE PRIMARY SOURCES.


Reading in the book of Numbers about the "scary rumors" (13:31) the scouts circulated to keep the people from entering the Promised Land.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE