road trips

On Tuesday I picked up a rental car and drove the 231 miles from Corpus Christi to the Houston airport. Though a mere four hour drive, it reminded me how much I love road trips.

Road trips are carefree, full of untold adventures. Yet I've found that there are certain "rules" to making the most of the journey. These are my top 10:

1. If you have a final destination point, or a schedule to keep, allow for twice as much time as it would take were you to drive direct from point A to point B. For example, my flight was scheduled to leave at 4 p.m. on Tuesday, so I made sure to leave the house by 8 a.m.

2. Drive with your windows down. Regardless of how hot or cold, windy or rainy, sunny or snowy it is, you can't get the full experience of your surroundings if you aren't breathing in all of it. The only exception to this rule I have ever made was driving through a blizzard in New Mexico. And truth be told, if I had to do it all over again, I probably would have left the windows down.

3. Music. It is essential to create a soundtrack for your journey. Or have a friend make one for you. Or tune in to a local college radio station to get the authentic sounds of the city. When I drove from California to Arkansas, Johnny made me a mix tape called "Leaving Nothing for the Middle of Nowhere." Sister Hazel was my constant companion during frequent trips from Indiana to Baltimore. Nevada - Unwritten Law. Montana - Miles Davis. Illinois - Death Cab for Cutie. This trip - Florida Georgia Line. Every road, every trip has a sound.

4. Do something you can't do at home. For example, I had breakfast on the beach this week. I could have had breakfast at Starbucks - I do love their Americanos, black, and a spinach wrap - but I can do that any time. So, if you have to follow a schedule at home, don't follow one on the road. If you can't get fry bread at home, make sure to get some on the road. If you don't have Joshua trees at home, make sure to hug one on your journey. You get the idea.

5. Ask the locals where to go and what to do. Doing just this has led me to Olallieberry pie, hidden waterfalls, underground book signings, and a Hatch Chile festival.

6. Be a tourist. Buy a t-shirt. Take pictures of palm trees. Visit a museum. Look up. Ask someone to take your picture with a sign.

7. Take a companion. A partner in crime always makes for more fun. I often find that I'm more adventurous if I have someone to get lost with, to go for help if something goes wrong, to give me a boost if I can't reach the next foothold on the mountain we are negotiating, and to remind me to be present when I'm in a rush to get from one adventure to the next.

8. Be committed. If there is something you are determined to do on this adventure, do it!

9. Be flexible. Use these phrases frequently: "I wonder where this road goes." "That place looks interesting." "What's your story? I've got all day!" "Let's take the scenic route." "Where can we get a drink?"

10. Make your own rules. Or don't. That's the beauty of road trips - anything goes. At least when you ride with me.

EMBRACE ROAD TRIPS.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE