generosity

Why is it that we have such a hard time accepting the generosity of others? Why is it that we are suspicious of their "ulterior motives"? Is it possible that they merely want to give a gift in order to be a blessing? Or because the Bible says to freely give what you have been freely given? Or because your friendship has meant so much to them that they want to do something for you in return?

I haven't always been good at receiving the generosity of others. I have never forgotten the time my college best friend and I had lunch at the Olive Garden and an older couple offered to pay for our meal, "Because we remember what it was like when we were in college."

We were particularly grubby this day, as I recall. I'm sure we were wearing bandanas, gray t-shirts, and holy jeans as was our official college wardrobe. Not because it was all we had but because we wanted to.

We refused to let the couple pay for us because, even though we looked it, we weren't your typical poor college kids and we didn't want to mislead them into thinking this was an extravagance for us. In fact, we ate at the Olive Garden on a pretty regular basis and didn't think twice about it.

But I could tell they were disappointed that we denied them this free gift that they wanted to bless us with. They weren't at all concerned with our savings accounts or college scholarships. They didn't care if we had to work to earn the money we were buying lunch with or if our grandparents had made sure we didn't have to. Maybe someone had bought them lunch when they were in college and they wanted to pay it forward. Maybe they had grandkids in college and were hoping that someone would buy them lunch. Whatever the case, we denied them the right to be no-strings-attached generous.

Ever since I've tried to be more open to the generosity of others, recognizing that it is as much a blessing to them if I receive their free gift as it is to me. If an offer of generosity makes me uncomfortable in the pit of my stomach I will kindly decline the gift (perhaps they do have ulterior motives, or it isn't what is best for me), but more often than not I'm happy to receive from others their blessings and in kind try to be a blessing to others.

EMBRACE GENEROSITY.

If a friend offers you sky miles so you can go to your niece's first birthday party in Texas this weekend, you accept with gratitude!


Listening to Matt Nathanson while I pack.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE