necessities

Tessa's necessities.
In preparation for an all-day outing on Monday, Tessa packed six purses full of "necessities." One purse had three tubes of chapstick in assorted flavors. Another was full of blocks (I'm trying to think if I've ever even seen her play with blocks). A third purse contained a baby doll's juice and milk bottles (the baby doll was obviously carrying this purse). A fourth purse had a tiny giraffe and a lego man who appeared to be attached to a balance beam with silly putty. The fifth held even more essentials for a day out: rulers, jewelry, a fork, and a rubber ball. The sixth purse was empty. It was large enough to hold the other five purses or fill with whatever treasures her day out revealed.

As I packed my own suitcase for a long weekend in Texas, I too filled it with "necessities." At least two outfit options per day. Three pairs of shoes. Makeup (because I've worn that once this year). Assorted gifts from one group of cousins to another, including a singing toy that resembles a bomb -- can't wait for security to see that one. And lots of unanswered questions: how many books should I take? How many swimsuits? How many pens? Should I carry on my toiletries in case my suitcase gets lost (it always gets lost)? What about snacks? The suitcase isn't full... what else should I take?

My necessities.
One thing is certain -- both Tessa and I ended up with way more "baggage" than "necessities."

How often in life do we carry around more than we need? Guilt, shame, regret, fear, anger. We pack it in and hold on to it, just in case.

Think about a new mom who packs a mini van full of diapers and outfit changes, toys and a week's worth of food so that she can take her little one to the store (all she needs is formula - so you know she spent more time packing than she will driving and shopping combined). Then think about that same mom once she's had kid number three. She knows there is probably a clean diaper shoved between the car seats and enough cheerios on the floor so the kids won't starve.    

That mom has learned the same lessons I've learned each time my suitcase doesn't land with me -- most of that stuff you won't use anyway and you can usually make do with what you've got.

What is important is that when you get off the plane your family will be there to greet you. What is important is that the kids are happy and healthy and want to spend time with you. What is important isn't what you pack in a bag, but who you hold in your heart.

EMBRACE NECESSITIES.

Perhaps we could all be more mindful of what's really important.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE