airports

Traveling alone or together, for business or pleasure, airports are a melting pot of thousands of different people going thousands of different places for thousands of different reasons. 

And yet I love that I can sit down at a restaurant in the Houston airport and have a drink with a man who works for a company in New York, and later that day board a plane in Baltimore and sit next to a woman who works for the very same company. 

And I love that the Corpus Christi airport is so small all the car rental companies share the same valet who meets you at baggage claim with the keys to your Beetle or BMW or Expedition. 

Airports ensure that you don't miss
life's most important moments,
even if you live 1,336 miles away.
I love that Indianapolis has a food court you can eat at without having a plane ticket. I love that Minneapolis sells tie-dyed blankets in case the plane is too cold. I love that the Cincinnati airport is in Kentucky. I love that flights in and out of Chicago are always delayed due to wind, and flights in and out of Fresno are always delayed because of fog. I love the light show in Detroit and the cardio walk in Baltimore. I love getting my eyebrows waxed in Atlanta and having ten times the restaurant options as I do in my hometown.  

I love that there are no chairs in the Mumbai airport. I love seeing college guys take pictures of themselves smoking pot in Amsterdam. I love that travelers in Quito disappear one at a time down a long hallway to meet their planes. I love getting a warm, wet towel before and after eating in Tokyo. I love that parents, siblings, kids, aunts, uncles, cousins, and neighbors come out in droves to meet incoming flights in HolguĂ­n. 

And I love this quote, written upon the wall of the William P. Hobby (Houston) airport: "We are all travelers, each of us looking for ourselves everywhere we go."

EMBRACE AIRPORTS.

Every airport is unique, just as every traveler. 
Each with its own unique take on the world. 


Reading Gold by Chris Cleave because I love the Olympics, and I have a compulsive need to buy a book every time I'm in an airport. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE