open doors

The weather this week has been amazing. I love being able to open my doors and let the breeze blow through the house. The fresh air, birds chirping, and occasional traffic are a nice addition to the regular background music of my day -- the running of the refrigerator, hum of the computer, and tumbling of the clothes dryer.

As I was embracing all of this, a prayer suddenly came to my heart:
Lord, I pray for open doors. 

I wasn't sure exactly what I was praying for, which is always a scary thought, but the prayer felt right.

I thought of the phrase "open door policy." Professors often have such a policy, which invites students to stop by any time to ask for help or discuss the subject being taught. God also has an open door policy. I can go to Him any time for any reason -- for help, to say "thanks," or just to hang out. I'm also grateful to have a few close friends whose doors are always open.

I think I could work harder at adopting an open door policy of my own, to be more available to people in need, regardless of who, what, when, where, how, or why.

When I Google "open doors" all the images
that come up are doors that open into the clouds.
When I think of open doors I also think of new opportunities. It could be that God is going to open a door for me to work with a new ministry, or work on a different kind of project, or write a book of my own. It could be that He has plans to grow the churches I am part of, or lay them down (yes, sometimes one door has to close for another to open!). It could be that He will open my eyes to the needs all around me so I can make a difference every day -- by smiling at or complimenting someone, helping a child who falls off his bike, taking someone to an appointment so she doesn't have to go alone, recommending a book or a blog, adopting someone to pray for every day. It could be an opportunity to spend more time with my brother in Ohio or my brother in Texas. God can open all kinds of doors for us!

When I think of open doors I think of new or evolving relationships. Both personal and professional. With God, self, and others.

When I think of open doors I think of change. An open door doesn't do any good if we don't walk through it, so open doors are about leaving the past and pursuing what lies ahead.


I'm reminded of God's grace, which gives us favor when it comes to open doors. I'm reminded that we can ask for this favor and we can ask for open doors.

EMBRACE OPEN DOORS.

Lord, I pray for open doors. I don't know what that means for my life right now, what it looks like or what lies ahead, but I trust you to open the right doors and to give me confidence and favor as I walk on through.


Listening to My Own Little World by Matthew West: Father break my heart for what breaks Yours; Give me open hands and open doors; Put Your Light in my eyes and let me see, That my own little world is not about me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE