unexpected gifts

Tysen. November 2012.
Last night I went to spend a quiet evening of catching up on Parenthood with my sis. It was near 10 p.m. when I arrived, after the kids were all in bed, and a glass of wine was waiting for me.

Within the hour I was washing vomit out of Tysen's hair while Kari was putting clean sheets on the bed and soiled sheets in the laundry. Tim got up to check on us, but I was grateful that he let me finish the bath.

You see, as an aunt I get to be involved in all the fun parts of the kids' lives: trips to McDonalds, playing dress up, reading books, buying presents. But I miss out on the everyday ordinary moments--the moments that are really what life is all about.

So it was an unexpected gift to get thrown up on, to listen to Tysen talk gibberish in the bathtub while I rinsed what was left of a birthday cupcake out of the creases in her neck, and to tell her she was strong and beautiful and loved.

There have been so many blessings in my life. Among them is learning to
EMBRACE UNEXPECTED GIFTS.


Listening to Some Nights by Fun.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE