sensitivity

Tessa. January 2013.
Confession: I'm pretty oblivious to the emotional needs of others. Oblivious to both their existence and their importance.

It's something I've invited God to deal with me about, but so far my other weaknesses seem to be a higher priority.

My niece Tessa is way sweeter than I am. She's also very particular about the way life is "supposed" to be. Take bedtime rituals, for example. On evenings when I come over for dinner and play time, Tessa expects me to stay through bedtime in order to give her a kiss and a hug goodnight. Last night, however, I needed to leave early, an hour before bedtime. Needless to say, she was not pleased.

Tessa doesn't have tantrums--that is Kenzi--Tessa has meltdowns. She was well on her way when I chose to: EMBRACE SENSITIVITY.

"Go get in bed," I told her, already in my winter hat, coat, and gloves. Her eyes lit up. You see, Tessa is really smart too. She knew with those four words what was to come.

Still fully dressed she climbed under the covers. I tucked her in, gave her a kiss and a hug, and told her sweet dreams. Meltdown averted.

She quickly climbed back out of bed, followed me to the front door, turned the porch light on for me, and invited me to grandma and grandpa's for pizza tomorrow.

Told you she was sweeter than me. I would do anything for that kid.

Maybe God is working on me after all...


Listening to You and I by Ingrid Michaelson.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE