music

We stayed up all night, listening to singer/songwriters on his cell phone. "Love is like falling, and falling is like this..." If there is one thing that comes close to the feeling of falling in love, it is to:

EMBRACE MUSIC.

I remember letting the music take me at The Pines, dancing in my vans with a wall of mirrors and a bass player's tongue in my ear. At Shoreline to James Taylor and The Other Ones with mushrooms and stranger best friends, tins of joints taped to their balls and babies making bongs. At a hotel, a piano player serenading a Make-a-Wish dreamer, in a hot tub when I was twelve. In Iowa in the bathroom with my cousin who is embarrassed by home videos of operatic arias I wish I had the boldness--not the voice, it was never about the voice--to sing. Marriages that never worked because the songs were all wrong. Bedroom turntables, living room records, guys in ponytails and their brothers. Years of foreplay come to a climax after one night of Neil Young on the jukebox and a game of roulette.

Embrace music...it's as dangerous and as worth it as falling in love.


Listening. Just listening. And falling in love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE