mentors

Isn't it interesting that you can overlook a word your entire life, but when you consciously choose it--when it chooses you--it suddenly manifests everywhere you turn.

I've been intermittently reading a 13-day devotional study by Mary DeMuth, author of Everything. Two weeks after starting I'm on Day Four. Yes, I suck at dailies.

Day Four is titled: "Embrace the Beauty of Community." Embrace.

If community were my word, I would tell you about the books my friend Margaret Feinberg recommends on this subject, which she just happened to tweet about on Monday.

But my word isn't community. It's embrace. And so I read Day Four through this lens, stumbling on a particular query that Mary ended with:


Who has been the most positive influence in your life? 
Who has helped you grow?

"Embrace community" would be a logical focus for today, but surely by now you know that's not how this works.

Mary's query challenged me to ask who I've allowed to influence me, who I've allowed to help me grow. It's a short list. And it feels deeper than community. I believe what I need is to: EMBRACE MENTORS.


P.S. Hours after drafting this my best-friend-since-kindergarten posted a link on Facebook to a blog post about The Secret of Finding a Mentor. Told you mentors was my focus for the day!


Listening to Human by Manafest.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE