Texas

Houston is where my aunt and uncle and cousins live. When I was a kid we visited once at Christmas and miraculously had a blizzard. A Jewish neighbor dressed up like Santa for us. It was the first time I realized Santa wasn't real. (The neighbor came over for drinks later and was wearing the same watch that Santa had on. I put two and two together.)

San Antonio is where we spent our first Christmas after my grandpa died. We explored the River walk and the Alamo. We had Christmas dinner at a Chinese restaurant and went swimming afterwards. My grandma suction cupped a felt Christmas tree to our hotel window and we sat on the beds reading Grandpa's poetry, laughing out loud.

In my early twenties I spent a couple days sleeping in my car in Amarillo while reading Banana Rose by Natalie Goldberg and drinking Strawberry Daiquiris during happy hour at Texas Roadhouse.

The company I work for is in Southlake. I spent two days in the office last year, to meet my coworkers, laugh and work and eat with them.

Dallas is where a good friend lives. A few years ago we met at his place, drove south, and spent a long weekend slowly tubing down a river with a bunch of his buddies.

Corpus Christi is where my brother, sister-in-law, and youngest niece live and where I'm headed later today. Beaches and businesses and blackened fish await.

EMBRACE TEXAS.

So many happy memories. Such diversity of people and places and experiences. So much to do and explore and embrace. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE