camp

Quaker Knoll Camp. Wilmington, OH. June 13, 2013.
"I'm thankful for my thankfulness."

One of our junior campers shared this during open worship around the campfire tonight. The campers, counselors, and directors had been sharing freely for about 20 minutes what they were thankful for. The gratitude included:

  • I'm glad I have a cool counselor who talks to me when I can't sleep.
  • I don't fit in at school. But at camp everyone thinks I'm cool and hangs out with me. 
  • I'm glad we're all friends. 
  • We don't always get along I'm glad my brother and sister are here.
  • I'm glad Katie came here to teach us about the Bible and stuff. 
  • I feel closer to God after being here. 
  • I'm glad we played mud kickball today. 
  • I'm grateful for the airplane flying overhead. Oh hey, there is the Big Dipper. I'm grateful for that too.
  • I'm grateful for everyone who took care of us this week, especially during the storms. 
  • I like food. 
  • I'm grateful I could open up to everyone and no one judged me.
  • I like Eric. He plays games with us. 
  • I'm grateful for my dad for paying for me to come to camp.
  • I'm glad I came to camp and I can't wait to come next year.
  • I'm glad I didn't watch any TV this week.

Silliness took over from there, as is expected at 11 o'clock at night on the last night of camp with a group of 8-12 year olds. But in the midst of that silliness was the comment, "I'm thankful for my thankfulness."

Everyone laughed, but I totally got it--even if the kid didn't. I was so grateful that the kids were grateful and that Betty had suggested we have this time of open worship to close out our campfire sessions. Hearing all that they had learned, all that they were grateful for, reminded me how important camp is, how transforming the experience can be, what a stepping stone to a deeper walk with God can take place in a few short days away from the world while focusing on God. If they had not been grateful, or had not expressed it, I may have left wondering if they had learned anything, if they had grown closer to God or at least were more interested in pursuing Him. But because of their thankfulness I know God did a powerful work this week. 

EMBRACE CAMP.

The kids also had a talent show, taught me to play Frisbee golf, and hung on my car like zombies tonight. That, too, is all part of what makes camp great.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE