frisbee golf

During my last night at camp, Bryce, one of my favorite campers, invited me to play frisbee golf with him and a bunch of other kids and camp director Eric (who is a professional frisbee golfer, seriously).

"I don't know how," I said.

"Pick it up and throw it. It's fun," he said, not letting me off the hook.

I grabbed a frisbee and gave it a toss.

"That was great!" Bryce cheered. (It wasn't actually great, but you can see why he was one of my favorites.)

So I played my first round of frisbee golf.

I made sure everyone knew this was my first time. And the kids were sure to run, duck, and dodge each time my frisbee came their way. In fact, Eric suggested everyone stand behind me until I'd thrown. But sometimes the frisbee still went in their direction.

Eric and the kids were patient and encouraging. They tried to teach me new hand positions and get me to use muscles I didn't know I had. And they of course were incredible. Bryce rarely took more than two throws to complete a round, while I was in double digits.

Afterwards Bryce and I were seated on a log in front of the campfire, making s'mores. "It was fun right!" he said, without once mentioning how terrible I was or even suggesting I go home and practice before ever doing that in public again.

"It was fun," I said, realizing I shouldn't let embarrassment or lack of talent stop me from having a good time. Especially when I have such a great group of supportive kids, friends, and family.

EMBRACE FRISBEE GOLF.

Or whatever it is that you don't know how to do, don't do well, or find it impossible to do with grace. Fun should always trump fear!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE