no-till

My dad no-tills some of his fields. In those he planted corn in last year, he didn't plow under the
leftover stalks, but planted beans right on top of them.

Until the rain over the weekend which made the beans sprout, the fields looked completely unworked.

There are multiple reasons for no-tilling. Among them are the soil retains more nutrients and water this way, and there is less erosion of the soil.

I think some of my frustration lately has stemmed from my trying to till a field that God doesn't want me to.

Last year could be cataloged as my year of BIG mistakes. I'd like to till them under. Bury, overturn, hide, disrupt all of last year's remnants -- the regrets, pain, anger, lost opportunities, errors, and missteps.

But I'm starting to see the benefit of no-tilling.

All of those mistakes, the big ones and the even bigger ones, are lessons to be learned. They are nutrients to help me grow and be better, roots to help me stay grounded and on the right path this time around.

The Bible says God works all things together for good. I imagine it is easier for Him to work with the things I haven't tried to bury and pretended never happened.

And here is the really cool part. After those remnants have nourished the new seeds you have planted, with a little time and sun and rain, the healthy plants will soon be bigger than the old stalks. The good stuff will soon overshadow the bad, and you won't even see the mistakes under the new life that flourishes.

EMBRACE NO-TILL.

What looks like a mess now, has the potential to grow into something beautiful.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE