Stephen King

As a kid I loved Stephen King movies. I thought they were creepy and disgusting and insanely creative.

As an adult I discovered Stephen King novels. They were still insanely creative, sometimes creepy, but not nearly as disgusting. They also showed King's immense talent, his affinity for the complexity of human emotion, his ability to draw the reader into another world that is both entirely normal and completely unimaginable except through his eyes.

The magnitude of his proficiency in crafting characters of depth is grossly understated in the movies. Or perhaps overshadowed by the creepy and disgusting.

Once I opened myself to Stephen King, I also discovered his wife Tabitha, another wildly gifted writer. Pearl is a genius of a book. And I plan on reading their sons, Owen King and Joe Hill, in the future.

The lesson: don't judge a book by its cover, or an author by his movies (or her husband or their dad). Be willing to look for the depth we all possess.

EMBRACE STEPHEN KING.


Reading King's latest novel, Joyland, which is insanely creative and not yet creepy or disgusting. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE