signs

Yesterday I went to Brookville, Indiana, to put in 20 or so miles of hiking. Every time I got lost, which was many many times, I paused to look for a sign.

Initially if I couldn't find one, I would press on, hoping to connect with the trail and its markers ahead. Sometimes it worked out. Sometimes it didn't. Later I realized it made more sense, and I found I was more successful, when I back tracked to the last trail marker I had seen. Then I would discover where I had gone wrong. Sometimes the culprit was an overgrown trail. But usually it had more to do with me moving too fast, or not paying attention, or being intrigued by something that looked more interesting on a spur trail (a fire pit, a beach, a tree to climb).

When I find I've lost my way in life, I can sometimes push on and, through stumbles and detours, find the path again. Other times the wrong trail will still meet up with the right trail if I keep going forward. And still other times it is best to go back to the last thing God told me to do, and from there pause, slow down, pay attention, and look for signs for the right path.  






EMBRACE SIGNS.

They tell you how far you have to go, or remind you of how far you have come. They tell you that you are on the right path. Or the wrong one. They protect you, and keep you from getting lost.


Listening to You'll Never Be Alone by Capital Kings: "I'm the streetlights that guide you home; I'll be the GPS when you've lost your phone..." 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE