Getting Back to Ordinary

I'm not very good at sharing.

That may be obvious to you, as my word of the year is "share" and I haven't even managed to write a blog a week.

For one, I'm busy and tired.

But more so, I think I'm overthinking the whole thing. Like I'm waiting for this Divine inspiration, this deep meaning to life, before I can put words to "paper."

It dawned on me, however, that I started this whole blogging thing four years ago to simply share daily life with you. And it felt more meaningful and purposeful then, in the ordinary, than it does now, waiting for the extraordinary.

So I'm going to try to go back to the daily and see if I can't be a better sharer.


Today I'll share a little story from Randy and my trip to California on Wednesday.

Wednesday is our "descansa" -- our rest day each week. Some Wednesdays we don't get off the couch. But that isn't always restful. We live at the children's home, so we still hear all the activity going on, we still talk about all that needs to get done, we still wave the children off as they go to school, and sometimes we even end up working.

But this week we needed to get away. Randy needed to go to T-Mobile to get a new cell phone (he lost all his contacts, so text him if you have his number!). Jovi needed dog food (we aren't impressed with the selection here in San Felipe). And I just needed a change of scenery.

We waited in line for what seemed like FOREVER to cross the border into the United States. The car temperature registered 111. And we were immediately grateful to almost NEVER have traffic problems in San Felipe. (The only time we do have a problem is when there is an event or race like the Baja 250 coming up in two weeks.)

We stopped at Burger King for lunch in El Centro. We don't have any "fast food" restaurants in San Felipe, so we always satisfy our "junk food" cravings when we cross the border.

Then as we drove from one store to the next, Randy stopped at a red light, looked both ways, and then proceeded to turn left.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Turning," he said.

"On red?" I asked.

"Oh," he said. "I guess I haven't seen a stoplight in a while."

I hadn't thought about it, but it's true. We are at least two hours away from the nearest stoplight.

Some days it feels like we will never acclimate to the differences here in San Felipe. But other moments, like running red lights in California, we are reminded that in many ways we have embraced this place as home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE