Changing Intentions

One of the challenges of being intentional is recognizing that there will be times that you have to intentionally be unintentional about the things you were being intentional about.


My initial intentional goals this year were to read more books, take more hikes, write more blogs, do more for others, grow in my faith, and date my husband.

As the weeks and months went by, I added to my intentional list: stretch, celebrate, and take care of my health (ie. make & go to doctor's appointments).

And now that we are a mere two months away from moving to Mexico indefinitely, there are seemingly a million more things to be intentional about: paying off debts, selling half our stuff, downsizing from two vehicles to one, spending time with family, raising money and awareness for our ministry, working from a distance on projects in Mexico, continuing our regular work of writing and catering, celebrating our move and closing down Randy's business. Not to mention the unexpected things in life that inevitably pop up: cavities, Jovi's surgery, a misplaced car title, grandma's cancer diagnosis.

It's enough to overwhelm anybody. But I find that I'm really struggling with letting go of any of the things I initially wanted to be intentional about.


I truly feel like my capacity has grown this year. By being intentional I've learned that I can do so much more with my time than I had been doing. But just because I can do more doesn't mean I can do everything. In fact, I'm finding that I have to intentionally NOT do some of the things I wanted to be intentional about in order to take the best care of myself.

Merely giving myself a "pass" when hikes don't get taken, blogs don't get written, or books don't get read isn't enough. Because when they don't get done, I feel like I've failed. But if I recognize that intentions are allowed to change -- some intentions HAVE to change! -- and I intentionally sit down with my schedule and determine each day how I most need and want to spend my time, it is easier to show myself grace.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE