Tu Turno (Your Turn)

Randy and I have a nightly routine of watching Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. It's a routine that was born on the Camino, when we watched game shows in Spanish.


Of course I don't think we ever got a puzzle right, but at least we recognized the letters! And it was a good way to unwind after a long day of walking.


And while it was more of a "mindless" activity in Spain, watching it in English each night is very mindful, challenging us to sort through all those pockets of information in our brains that we can forget are even there.


But last night's episode of Wheel of Fortune had me thinking in a new way. Not because of the puzzles or Vanna White's leopard print dress or the cameo by her boyfriend. Instead, it happened during the interview period when the contestants were introducing themselves.

During these introductions, the contestants typically talk about their families, their careers, and something interesting about themselves.

Last night the first contestant's "interesting fact" was that she liked to gamble.

The second contestant's interesting fact was: "I really like cats."
Pat Sajak asked: "How many do you have?"
"None," she replied. "I'm allergic."

The final contestant said that he does polar bear swims every year. "And I really like 5ks, but I haven't done one of those in a long time."

Now this is the part that set me spinning. Pat said: "Let me get this straight. YOU like 5ks but you haven't run one in a long time. YOU like cats but you don't have any. And SHE likes to gamble but she probably won't tonight."

I thought: that is precisely why it is so important to live intentionally! Because I know these 3 aren't the only ones who aren't doing the things that they love to do.

That's precisely where I was last year. I love to hike, and yet it wasn't a regular part of my calendar. I love to read, and yet months could go by without my ever picking up a book. I love Jesus, and yet I wasn't involved in a Bible study, prayer group or other activity that intentionally grew my relationship with him.

This year, however, is my year to live intentionally. So if I were to go on Wheel of Fortune, I could say honestly: "I love to hike. My husband and I hit a new trail every week." Or, "I love to read. I've read a dozen books already this year." Or, "I love Jesus and want to give a shout out to the women in my Tuesday night Bible study!"

Now it's your turn! If you were to go on Wheel of Fortune, what would be your "fun fact"? And how regularly do you indulge in that "favorite thing"?


And just for fun, a short clip of Spanish Wheel of Fortune (check out "Vanna's" outfit!).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE