OCTOBER


October was a busy month, filled with new adventures! I took on two part-time jobs, starting on the same day!


One of those positions came with the title, “Wilmington Yearly Meeting Coordinator”. Coordinator does describe some of what I do – coordinating meetings for the Quakers in Ohio and Tennessee. But “informer” and “encourager” feel like more important roles as I get started. Like most U.S. denominations, the Quakers have experienced a series of splits in the church over our position on gay marriage. Some Friends (as Quakers are affectionately called) believe we must declare a position one way or another. Other Friends believe that each congregation should be able to decide for themselves whether or not to perform a marriage in their church. Regardless of the denomination, regardless of whether they side “for” or “against”, churches have been filled with pain and loss and distrust. And we’ve realized we don’t really know one another. Which is where I come in! 

My role in my first month has been to inform people about what is going on. This has involved going to church meetings and church services and coffee dates and office calls to get informed myself so that I can translate that to the people in the pews. Who are we? What are we doing? What do we believe? What is God calling us to do? Equally important in informing people is to encourage them along the way. I am excited! I am excited to be “home”, with my people, to struggle alongside them and celebrate with them and help us keep a positive God-centered outlook in the process. Randy and I know all-too-well how hard it is to stay positive when the people around you are determined to be negative. So please pray for me and for us and for all Christians everywhere that we would remember to rejoice always, in all things, for the joy of the Lord is our strength!

The other job I took on in October was manager of our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore. Many people have heard of Habitat for Humanity, whose mission it is to see that everyone has a decent place to live. The organization can be supported through monetary donations or through volunteering your time building homes. But did you know that you can also donate your used building materials and appliances and home goods to the ReStore where we sell them at reduced prices to help fund the building of those homes? I didn’t either until Randy and I began remodeling our home! We found so many great buys—new and gently used stuff at reduced prices!—that have immensely helped our budget. I never thought I could help Habitat for Humanity in a hands-on way because I don’t know the first thing about drywall or wet tile saws. But I was wrong! I can totally help and I want more people to know that they can too! I love, love, love this job and am having a great time merchandizing, pricing, marketing, selling, getting to know the Habitat for Humanity board members and volunteers and frequent shoppers to the ReStore.


If you are thinking this is a lot to take on, you’re not wrong! And you’re not the first person to mention it. But the amazing thing about God is that when you say “yes” to the things he wants you to say yes to, he will give you the energy to do the work.

Randy and I have had to get creative about our “date nights”, which now involve him helping me unpack new merchandise at the store, or having a photo shoot to announce my new jobs, or choosing one night a week that we are both home before dark (which is a lot earlier now than it was a month ago!), or attending each other’s work Christmas parties, or filling out adoption paperwork together, or sharing an Amazon shopping cart. Life is busy and full and I wouldn’t want to do it with anyone else!


In the midst of it all, Randy and our new handyman Phil and a work day with our local Lions Club have made incredible progress on the house! Look how gorgeous this is!!  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

MORE

forgiveness