40-40-40 ... Day 39: Days For Girls

Way back in February -- Valentine's Day and the first day of Lent, to be exact, I took on the challenge of giving $40 to 40 different organizations over the course of the 40 days of Lent. 40-40-40. Shortly after starting that challenge, my grandmother died unexpectedly, knocking me off course for a few weeks. Committed to seeing the challenge through, however, I decided to keep my eyes and ears and heart open while undertaking the Great American Road Trip with my husband as we transition from Mexico to Ohio.

What I discovered on that journey was a great big world that is both beautiful and in need, and it is full of beautiful people who want to help. The problem is, sometimes our helping hurts.


While getting to know my high school friend Jim's wife over dinner one night in Sherwood, Oregon, Mel shared with me about an organization called "Days for Girls." Days for Girls was started when a woman named Celeste inquired about what girls in India do when they are on their menstrual cycle. The answer she got was "nothing." They were not able to go anywhere or do anything -- not school, not dinner, literally "nothing" because they had no sanitary products.

If you are an American and you hear about this, no doubt the first thing on your mind is to login to your Amazon account or head to your nearest Costco to buy tampons and pads in bulk and ship them overseas. And Celeste did exactly that. But this is a prime example of "when helping hurts."


I've been to India so I can attest to the fact that there is a major issue with trash disposal in this country. After missing my flight in Mumbai and using the extra day to visit the Arabian Sea, I couldn't believe the trash I saw floating along the water's edge, right next to the tent camps where people were living, washing, drinking. But with no other options for disposing of their trash, what were the people supposed to do?

And what were these girls supposed to do with these new gifts of feminine products once they were done with them? Bury them? Throw them in the sea? This Americanized "solution" of disposable products only shifted the issue from one problem to another.


But Celeste didn't give up. She created a reusable, washable, long-lasting pad that has given over one-million girls and women their days back. They can now go to school and work. They don't miss meals. They have more opportunities to break the cycle of poverty.

I'm so grateful to Mel for introducing me to this organization with a story that can inspire us all -- don't give up in your quest to help, even if it takes a few iterations before you get it right!

ACTION STEPS

LEARN more about Days for Girls.
Traveling internationally? DISTRIBUTE prepared kits to girls in local villages!
Like to sew? CREATE products for girls.
SHOP to support Days for Girls.
DONATE.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE